We are currently re-working how we train members of the Texas Crisis Resiliency Team. We have a committee formed to develop the training. The intent is that this will be a Faith Based Disaster Response plan that will assist churches following disasters and provide spiritual support to survivors of trauma and disasters. A major goal is also to support the needs of the Texas VOAD and the training will be consistent with the guidelines established by the National VOAD Emotional and Spiritual Care Committee.
Here is a planned timeline for development of the program.
1. August 2016 – Complete outline for training modules for Disaster Spiritual Care.2. October 2016 – Complete revision of SOP for the Texas Crisis Resiliency Team — Goal for completion October 2016. There will be major changes because previously it was tied closely to NOVA.3. January 2017 – Complete slides for all training modules for Disaster Spiritual Care.4. September 2017 – Complete draft of training manual. I see this as a digital training manual and not a printed manual. Chapters would be limited to about 10 pages.5. September 2017 – Teach course (at least some modules) at Chaplains’ Training / Conference in San Antonio. Also a goal is to have it ready for Dallas Baptist University (DBU) to utilize in their fall semester.Part of the training would be on line — the FEMA ICS classes and Psychological First Aide.NOTE: In the Bobby Smith utilized the NOVA training at DBU as a part of their chaplain training program. It was a Master’s level course. One goal is to structure the training so that it could easily be adapted to the needs of universities and seminaries for training in this area.
Members of the Texas Crisis Resiliency Team will continue to respond to assist as needed while we are doing the revision of our training program.
This is the new training for the Texas Crisis Resiliency Team. It is currently being developed and the link will take you to the new training slides and the training manual. Those desiring to view this training can e-mail Dan.Franklin@texasbaptists.org for a password. Click this link TCRT Training
Team members are expected to complete the National Incident Management System (NIMS) training required of all disaster responders. These free on-line courses are valuable in helping disaster responders understand the operational organization and language of disaster response. All of the online training is intended to be “open book”. This is accomplished by printing the test questions before taking a course. All team members are expected to complete the following courses:
- FEMA IS-100-ICS http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/is100b.asp
- FEMA IS-200-ICS http://www.training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/is200b.asp
- FEMA IS-700.a-NIMS http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/is700a.asp
- FEMA IS-800B-NRF http://training.fema.gov/EMIWeb/IS/IS800b.asp
Please note that these courses change and sometimes the website location is moved. Please inform us if you have problems.